Friday, May 22, 2009

Sunday Morning Calm and Dave Barry at Abids



It was the morning after the election results came in much to the surprise of everyone. I had expected the Necklace Road to be littered with the remnants of celebrations but it wasn’t so. I was at Necklace Road early Sunday morning that has now become a habit. Even though I spend just about an hour at the lakeside, it fills me with a calm that lasts about a month. There is something about being near lakes, beaches etc early in the morning that soothes. I feel pleased that I have stumbled upon this quite unknowingly. There was nothing to disturb the peace of the morning this Sunday so I sat on a bench lost in thoughts.

Of course, the only thing on my mind was the revision of my book that is moving at a snail’s pace. It might be early July before I have a draft that I can give out to friends to read. The only decision I took last Sunday morning was to do at least ten pages of revision every day. By the time I am ready for the next visit to Necklace Road I hope to have a readable draft in my hands. Later on, I spent another hour at Adarsh reading the paper. I could get only one paper as all other newspapers were sold out. Every body must have been eager to read more about the results even after being bombarded with the results and the trends on television.

It wasn’t so hot last Sunday so I ventured out to Abids afterwards. I found another Dave Barry book, this time it was ‘Dave Barry’s Greatest Hits’ and needless to say it is a very, very hilarious book containing, as the title suggests, some of his best pieces. I got the book for thirty bucks and one of my friends is going to be the lucky recipient of this book though I am tempted to keep it for myself. I also saw a couple of old issues of ‘New Yorker’ and one issue had an article by Louis Menand on revisiting Jack Kerouac’s ‘The Road.’ Incidentally, I haven’t yet read the book which I found sometime last year. I am saving it for a special occasion to read.

No comments: