Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Champion's Mindset

Champions are not born; champions are made. Only a champion knows what it needs to become a champion. Since not everyone knows the secrets only a few become champions. Some people are fortunate to discover their talents at an early age and work on them to become champions. Some are even more fortunate to have someone else like parents and teachers spot their talents and egg them on to become champions. To become a champion one not only should have a talent, one should also have the will power and the grit to hone it to perfection. This needs a lot of effort, time and patience. Sometimes it takes a lifetime to become a champion. For some even a lifetime isn’t enough.

Some of the saddest stories are those of people who look back at their lives and regret not having made use of their talents. They rue their inability to exploit their potential to its fullest or rue their lack of self-confidence. Not everyone is a self-starter; some need an external motivator to guide them, to nurture them and show them the path. But not everyone is lucky to come across such people who can help them achieve their full potential. Mine is a similar case. I thought I had some talent but was helpless about what to do with it. I knew I could write but did not know how to go ahead. Apart from this ignorance, I also lacked the self-confidence. It was quite a struggle for me, studying a course in which I was not interested. After college for a brief period I worked as a copywriter in an ad agency. Then even before I could realize it I landed in a government job and am stuck here. There isn’t a day when I did not wish I had someone to guide me. Though I am beyond that stage where I let regret wreck my life I feel sad when I meet someone young and talented floundering in life. I wish I could help them in some way but I am not well equipped to tell them what to do. But now I know what to do if I come across young people confused about their dreams- it is ‘The Champion’s Mindset’ workshop by Hari.

One of the most fortunate moments of my life has been meeting Hari more than fourteen years ago. It was writing that brought us together. Since then I have seen Hari grow into the sort of person one only dreams about. Even as I was struck in my job with the government I watched Hari shape his future. He left a lucrative job with IDBI to pursue writing. When I met him he had about four manuscripts ready with him. He worked on his strengths as a former Ranji cricketer and a writer to do something purposeful. A couple of years ago after the launch of his first book ‘The Men Within’ he started giving motivational talks at colleges and to corporate people. His cool, unruffled attitude in face of problems, logical mind and analytical skills helped him find recognition as a management consultant. He began conducting small workshops where he motivated people to find excellence in their lives. He felt it wasn’t enough. Combining his experiences in organizing and conducting such motivational workshops he has now come up with a unique workshop called ‘The Champion’s Mindset.’ I feel it is exactly what a lot of people, youngsters particularly, need if they want to make some sense of their lives.

One needn’t have any particular talent to be a champion. One may not be good at chess or cricket, tennis etc., to be a champion. One can be a champion at anything be it selling or networking or anything one is interested in. One needs to have the desire to be a champion and those with such a desire can become one. I firmly believe that anyone can be a champion if they wish to. Till now there was a dearth of people who could tell others what to do with their talents and skills to excel in their lives and become champions. Now that Hari’s ‘The Champion’s Mindset’ is all set to take off I only hope a lot of people make use of it and develop the champion’s mindset.

2 comments:

Harimohan said...

Vinod bhai, thanks for the wonderful words. It means much because it encourages me to continue to prod people on the path of finding the champion within themselves.
I am as glad as you are at the fact that we met at that IGNOU class so many years ago (and promptly disappeared into the Irani cafe down the street). It has been one of those friendships that clicked right from the first moment and well, we've been through many chais, mirchi bajjis and samosas since then.
I do think that not a moment in our life is wasted. Specially for a writer, the moments that add up to the discomfort make great reason to write and get it out of the system - something you have done and will do more of. You have the ability to wring humor from the most drab situations and I know you will come up with the truly hilarious Indian novel some day soon.
Thanks again and do come for the workshop next time around.

Anonymous said...

>> Vinodji

>> Your article is well written and very motivating >>for all writers like myself..
>>Best wishes..!
>> bhavana sharma , Author of Just Spells & Just Tarot, & Contributing writer