Tuesday, July 12, 2011

New Food Joints in the City of the Dumb

MORE FOOD JOINTS
This is one new restaurant in Jubilee Hills I am not going ever to crib about mainly for two reasons. The first reason is that this joint called ‘Organika,’ as the name suggests, serves organic stuff only. I am all for the organic life though it is not always possible. I read sometime last week that ‘Organika’ opened its doors a couple of weeks ago in Jubilee Hills ( I do not know where exactly in JH) offering among other things something called ‘Bubble Tea’ which is definitely something I’d like to check out if I find the time and of course, if I manage to locate in the labyrinthine roads of Jubilee Hills and provided it is still around by the time I eventually find it.

The second reason why I don’t want to crib about the opening of this new restaurant in JH is (surprise, surprise,) that a hotel opened in my own neighbourhood. A little more than a week ago a place called ‘Golden Crown Restaurant and Dum Ka Biryani’ opened on the main road. It isn’t exactly a new one since there already existed a rundown Irani joint that has now made way for Golden Crown. The name certainly evokes something of the Hyderabadi suddenness of making things clear right away. Anyway, I am happy to report that Crown is making good business since I always find it crowded with people. There’s another restaurant just across the road so I am surprised at the crowds. Maybe the food is good which means I have to check it out, which being in the neighbourhood, I feel is my bounden duty.

The Dumb Hyderabadi
There’s a lengthy post that I am contemplating doing sometime soon on how the Hyderabadis are total suckers. There have been countless instances of people being cheated by what is called the ‘attention diversion gang’ but we do not seem to have learnt our lessons. The gang members stalk people carrying large amounts of cash near banks and such places, tell the person they’ve dropped money on the road and while the greedy guy bends down to pick up the change, the gang makes off with the actual loot. It has happened so many times that one would think that one would have learnt to be more careful. But no, we Hyderabadis seem to think that each of us have to go through the experience individually before becoming alert. About a week ago I read in the papers about the security guards (!) of a cash van being duped by the gang who made off with nearly twenty lakhs. Imagine losing twenty lakhs for some loose change on the road. That is how dumb we Hyderabadis are.

4 comments:

HealthTips said...

hey vinod wud u like to write how to deal with the book sellers in koti abids
im from hyderabad I dont get second books much

Vetirmagal said...

Ok.. Now we can easily find your house. It is next to the new Hotel?

Will snoop one day on all those musty (heavenly ) smelling books.:-)

Vinod Ekbote said...

Vetri, you are welcome!

Vinod Ekbote said...

HT,
It isn't difficult to deal with the booksellers at Abids because the books are cheap anyway. If you can, offer half of what they ask. Good luck.