Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Wet Blanket Over the City & Another Eatery in Jubilee Hills

The city appears like someone has thrown a wet blanket over it. Since the past one week or more its been cloudy and raining almost all day. Dark clouds cover the sky all day all week without even a peek of the sun. It was actually depressing weather. No matter how many cups of Irani chai I drink my moods do not seem to improve. I am a kind of sun guy. If the sun is not out then I feel gloomy. As if that wasn’t enough, for the second successive Sunday I had to go to work in the afternoon. Sunday afternoon is the time when I indulge in a rare luxury- of taking a post lunch nap. But no such luxury for me this Sunday as the rains kept us busy. Not only I missed my nap I also missed watching ‘Just Books’ that comes at four pm on Sundays. I couldn’t get to watch it on Saturday either as I was still at office. All this combined to put me in a rather bad mood.

While coming to office on Monday morning I had the first of two realizations of the month. The first realization was that ‘If your Sunday is messed up then the entire week is messed up.


Normally when I am gloomy I buy books to cheer myself up. Though I had picked up two good books on Sunday morning at Abids I still felt downbeat. I needed something else to cheer me up. Being the end of the month retail therapy was out of the question so that left me with only one option-eating at my favourite Irani joint. So on Monday afternoon, still feeling gloomy, I rode towards Paradise Bakery where I made the second realization of the month: No one weighing less than 55 kgs can eat more than two egg puffs at Paradise Bakery. Since I fall into that weight category I know it after I had two of them. My usual favourite- chota samosas- were not available so I went for the egg puffs. Until recently they were eight rupees a piece but now the price is ten rupees for one. In keeping with the increased price the size of the egg puff too seems to have grown. Each egg puff was a monstrous piece, puffed up like a boat with the egg half in the centre. It took me quite a long time to finish off those followed by a cup of the usual nectar at Paradise. The mood improved a bit after that.


YET ANOTHER EATERY AT JUBILEE HILLS
Talking about eating reminds me of the news item I read on Sunday. I read that Jubilee Hills has another eatery that opened recently. ‘Quiznos’ a US based Sub Quick Service Restaurant, launched its flagship store in the country and it found no other place better suited for it than our own Jubilee Hills (Filmnagar) with its high population of rich and hungry folks. I read that Quiznos would be opening ten more stores across the city by the end of the year but in the next month two of them would be opened at Inorbit Mall and at Infosys, Pocharam Campus.

In case I happen to be in Filmnagar, Jubilee Hills I plan to drop in there and check out the fare, that is, if it isn’t crowded by the ever hungry Jubilee Hills folks who, I am convinced, will be flocking the store at all times of the day like there are no other eateries for miles around.

No comments: