Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Another New Joint in Jubilee Hills

Life has a mysterious way of bringing to one’s attention the very things one is not interested in and trying to avoid. Take for example, my own keen and undying interest in the restaurant scene in the Jubilee Hills/Banjara Hills area. I am actually tired ( and also envious) of reading about new hotels coming up there that I have decided not to blog about it here but it seems something I am destined to do considering not many people are doing it.

In Jubilee Hills there are so many new restaurants coming up so regularly that I won’t be surprised if the Government notifies the entire Jubilee Hills/Banjara Hills area as an SEZ- Special Eating Zone. I have lost count of the number of hotels opening in that locality that I have lost count. Just when I was wondering when the next joint would open came the news that another hotel has just come up in that area which I came to know only recently.

As I said earlier, life has a certain way of bringing things to our attention when we least expect them. So about two weeks ago I attended the Hyderabad Literary Festival hoping to indulge myself in some literary fare. I actually paid five hundred bucks and registered for the event like I had planned to attend for all the three days. After registration I was given a small cloth bag that contained i) a cheap ball point pen ii) a small note book iii) the January 2012 issue of C6 (Channel Six) magazine and iv) the three day program brochure. It was in C6 that I read that Jubilee Hills crowd had another new joint to go to and eat or do whatever they do in such places.

The new restaurant, I read, was ‘Salz’ and located at Road No. 92, Jubilee Hills which was another piece of news to me because I never knew there were so many roads in Jubilee Hills. Some day I plan to undertake some sort of an expedition and spend a lot of time getting acquainted with the locality because, if any place has roads beginning from Road No. 1 to Road No. 92 then it must be worth checking out in detail.

Anyway, yesterday again there was another item about ‘Salz’ in the ‘Metro Plus’ supplement of The Hindu. It is supposed to offer ‘Transcontinental’ cuisine whatever that means. The reviewer had many good things to say about the food there, describing everything in superlatives, which is exactly what one tends to do if one is not paying for all the stuff that one is generously helping oneself to. I say this from experience, honestly.

Even if I began, say starting tomorrow and assuming I can afford it, to have dinner once a week at each and every joint in Jubilee Hills I doubt if I would ever be able to go through all the joints before I retire, which is a good ten years from now. I know there will be at least one person in JH/BH who might have had at least one meal at each of the restaurants in that area and I won’t be surprised if he/she has an appetite bigger than the Jubilee Hills area and is never at home at mealtime.

5 comments:

Beautiful World said...

Am not able to catch up with the speed with which you seem to be writing about the new restaurants. :) (as I do only one a month)
I still have 'So' and Kholani's to eat at.
At this rate I think I'd never be able to cover them all.
By the way, I need not visit this one (Salz) as it has mostly non-veg dishes.
Also, these aren't as expensive as you think. The max that I have had to pay so far has been about Rs.700 per head for the buffets. And for someone who is a thorough foodie like me, that's a small price.

Vinod Ekbote said...

Subha, you have to work in the Govt to catch up on such things :)Also, the joints are way too expensive for Govt blokes.

Rajendra said...

Ha, ha. Special Eating Zone. That should be a sure-fire success, unlike some others.

Beautiful World said...

umm...I do not think they are. It is all about what you are passionate about.I am sure you spend that mush or more on books every month.

Beautiful World said...

oops...it should read 'that much' and not 'that mush'
money spent on something one is passionate about cannot be 'mush' :)