Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Numaish, Another New Eatery in Jubilee Hills and Catching the Legislature Fever

Only a true Hyderabadi can understand the fuss behind the tamasha that is the Numaish. And only a true Hyderabadi and no one else can come out smiling after spending hours gawking inside the Numaish. I’ll bet there’ll be very few Hyderabadis who do not feel like making another trip to the Numaish within days of making one In fact though only Hyderabadis throng the Numaish mostly, one can find people from other places going around curiously with ‘I-Can’t-Believe-This’ expressions on their faces and hurrying out after spending just an hour or less inside.

Anyone claiming themselves to be true Hyderabadis must pass this test- of having been to the Numaish year after year for ten or more continuous years and eagerly awaiting for January every year. I’ve been going to the Numaish ever since I was a small kid. Though we were at that time moving from one town to another in some corner of the State my father made it a point to bring us to Hyderabad around Numaish time every year. The sound of the hand held tin toy making a clicking noise ( I cannot recollect what it was called- phit- phiti?) and playing with the ‘lailappas’ is something that is part of my childhood memories.

The Numaish is a part of the Hyderabadis life wherever they live. One has to visit the Numaish at least once or else life wouldn’t be quite the same until the next year. Only Hyderabadis can go to the Numaish and gawk like it is their first ever visit to the show though they’ve been coming every year. Incidentally, the Numaish is another place where you will never come across even a single soul from Jubilee Hills. I guess they’d rather prefer being dead than be seen at the Numaish eating chikki and gawking at the stuff in the dinky stalls.

Talking of Jubilee Hills folks reminds me of this latest eruption in the restaurant scene there. There’s news of another new restaurant opening in Jubilee Hills. I read on Monday in the papers that ‘Sitara Grand’ has opened on Road No.12 in Jubilee Hills. This hotel is not to be confused with Hotel Sitara which was in the news recently because it caught fire which is something of the sort that usually happens with restaurants this side of the town. Anyway I had written about Sitara Grand long back on this blog. This place is bang on the main road and there are nearly half a dozen other eateries like Ohri’s and such within spitting distance.

The Legislative Fever is on and needless to say I’m part of it. There’ll be posts on it in the coming days.

5 comments:

Rajendra said...

I agree with your observations on the Numaish and what it represents for Hyderabadis.

Vinod Ekbote said...

Raja, I hope you have been there this year to relive the feelings :)

Jayasrinivasa Rao said...

Vinod bhai...apan bhi numaish dekhne gaya tha...will write about it...I did find something that I was looking out for...thanks for the prompt...

Jai

Vinod Ekbote said...

Jai, I hope you took your family along and also enjoyed it.

Vetirmagal said...

Hi,
I may not beat you in reading books, but I have been to Numaish for decades , now!
This year, we could go only the last few days, and we felt kind of sad, that we did not see all the circles(inner and inner..)

It still has the charm :-)