Friday, May 09, 2014

At a Book Launch

After a very long time I got the chance to attend a book launch event in Hyderabad. Last Friday I was at the Landmark store in Somajiguda and sat through a brief but very interesting launch of Chitra Viraraghavan’s ‘The Americans.’ In conversation with Chitra was Sridala Swami, fine poet and occasional reviewer for ’The Guardian.’ It was an interesting exchange between the two that subtly brought out what ‘The Americans’ was all about. When Sridala Swami mentioned that the book had a character named ‘Vinod’ I was curious. Needless to say I bought a copy of the book and got it signed by Chitra, who happens to be a friend/wife of a friend or both actually.

It was at the HLF in 2011 that I and Hari first met Krishna Shastri Devulapalli and Chitra. Hari was on a panel in which Krishna Shastri was also a participant. Afterwards we got talking and over these couple of years we met a few times and that too for a few minutes or so. This is one reason why I was not aware that Chitra was an editor, had done her Ph.D in English Literature in the US. I also did not know her full name. It came as a complete surprise that Chitra, though diminutive in appearance, has accomplished so much. As if all that wasn’t enough she has now written a wonderful novel. Hari had told me in January that Chitra had written a book that would be launched sometime in April this year so I was kind of prepared. From the few pages that I have read so far it looks like the novel will make a major splash on the bestseller lists in no time, aided, in part, by the fantastic cover. The cover is designed by none other than the inimitable Krishna Shastri Devulapalli. I won’t be surprised if ‘The Americans’ picks up a few awards on the way up.

I might do a review of the book here sometime soon.

2 comments:

Chitra said...

Thanks, Vinod, for being there, and for writing an affectionate account of it all. Cheers, Chitra

Chitra said...

Thanks, Vinod, for being there, and for writing an affectionate account of it all. Cheers, Chitra