Tuesday, June 26, 2018

A Midweek Haul


The Friday before last it had started to drizzle while I was on my way home. Since I ride a two wheeler I decided to stop somewhere until the rain stopped. I was a little away from a new store that the MR Books had opened in the Nagarjuna circle in Punjagutta in Hyderabad. I stopped there with the plan to browse until it stopped raining. There I found a book which was a sort of sequel to a title I had already read.
On New Year’s day last year I had picked up a copy of ‘The Spiral Staircase’ by Karen Armstrong at Abids. A couple of weeks later I read it and found Karen Armstrong’s account of her experiences as a nun and as an ex-nun. After finishing reading ‘The Spiral Staircase’ I wished I could also read the first part of her memoir- Through the Narrow Gate. I’m lucky in that sooner or later I always find the book I want to read. I felt glad spotting ‘Through the Narrow Gate’ at the MR Bookstore and bought it for a hundred rupees which isn’t much. I planned to read it on the plane journey to Delhi en route to Nainital for a training course I was told to attend.

No comments: