Friday, February 22, 2019

The Sunday Haul (on 17-02-2019)


All signs that summer is not too far away are around us: it is warmer, the sunlight is no longer mild, and there's the change in vegetation. It isn’t really summer though but it felt that way at Abids last Sunday. Luckily, I had taken along my cap which made it bearable to be out in the open.
I am embarrassed to admit that I haven’t read much Dylan Thomas. I know this would sound ridiculous that someone like me who enjoys reading poetry hasn’t much knowledge about Dylan Thomas. Something wonderful happened after I picked up a copy of ‘Life with Dylan Thomas’ by Caitlin Thomas. A fan of Dylan Thomas began following me on Twitter moments after I bought this title. It was a curious coincidence.
I had come across copies of titles by Anita Brookner in the past but somehow did not have the good sense to pick them up. Last Sunday when I spotted a copy ‘Look at Me’ by Anita Brookner in a heap of Rs 30 books I picked it up. I started reading it yesterday and found it to be a wonderful book and felt an idiot for not having bought her books when I came across them earlier.
I already have two copies of ‘An Atlas of Impossible Longing’ by Anuradha Roy, and have given away one of them. However, I haven’t yet read it though my friend is urging me to read it. I know Anuradha Roy is a wonderful writer and had got a copy of ‘All the Lives We Never Lived’ her latest title that I had signed by the author at Lit for Life in Chennai last month. When I saw yet another copy of ‘An Atlas of Impossible Longing’ I did not hesitate before buying it. There will be someone else who might want to read something wonderful.

No comments: