Friday, March 01, 2019

The Sunday Haul (on 25-02-2019)


There’s no better way to judge if it’s summer yet than to be out in the open for a couple of hours. Last Sunday just a few minutes in the open at Abids and I was convinced that summer has begun in Hyderabad. The temperatures have touched 35 degrees C and in another couple of weeks it will be somewhere around forty degrees or more. Then it would be hellish to be in the open for more than a few minutes. However, I did not want to think about the coming weeks and went about looking for books. I ended up finding three good titles.
Sometime back I had found a copy of ‘ A Town Like Alice’ by Nevil Shute that I haven’t yet read. Last Sunday I spotted an old copy of ‘Lonely Road’ by Nevil Shute and hesitated for a few moments wondering if I should buy it. But after reading the first page I decided to buy it and it was the first book I bought last Sunday at Abids.
Further down the road at a seller with a heap of books selling for twenty rupees only I found another Anita Brookner title. I am currently reading ‘Look at Me’ that I had found recently. It is beautifully written. So when I saw a nice copy of ‘Providence’ by Anita Brookner in the heap I picked it up hoping it would be as good as ‘Look at Me.’ Then a few moments after I read the blurb on the cover (“A beautiful study…has the gentle concentration of Barbara Pym”) I spotted the copy of ‘A Glass of Blessings’ by Barbara Pym in the same heap. This copy belonged to someone in London, an OBE and J.P. Needless to say I bought the two books right away.

No comments: