Friday, November 08, 2019

Post 1 of 4: The Delhi Haul-1


After a gap of six months I was sent to Delhi again for another training course, two courses actually, that would take me away from Hyderabad for two weeks. I was a substitute since the person who had been originally dropped off for some reason. I was a last minute substitute and I had no choice but to agree. On one hand I was reluctant to go because it meant I would spend the Diwali festival away from the family, and on the other hand I wanted to go because I wanted to check out the second hand book market that was now shifted to Mahila Haat in Delhi. I had two weekends and I planned to make the most of it only I did not account for the smog.
Back at home after the first spell of training at an institute in Greater Noida, I ventured out to Connaught Place on Saturday morning. My first stop was Anil Book Corner at CP where I found a copy of ‘Johnnie Sahib’ by Peter Scott. I bought it one the recommendation of the seller and also because I was the first customer and did not want to disappoint him. Later I went to one of my old haunts- Jacksons Books at Paharganj. At Jacksons I found three good titles.
Though I have been reading about Ngaio Marsh and had also come across some of his titles for some reason I did not feel like picking up any title to read. It is dumb I know but that’s how I am. Anyway, the first title I saw at Jacksons Books was ‘Death of a White Tie’ by Ngaio Marsh that I decided to buy though I could have bought it cheap at Abids back home in Hyderabad. This copy of ‘Death of a White Tie’ by Ngaio Marsh was in quite a good condition so it was value for money.
Another title that I almost grabbed the moment I spotted it was a nice copy of ‘New Grub Street’ by Paul Gissing. I remember I had this title jotted down in one of my notebooks so I did not even look properly at the book which turned out to be a mistake. Later when I checked out the book at home I noticed that the first four pages of the Introduction pages were missing. Even after a couple of decades of book collecting I sometimes forget to check if all the pages are intact before buying a book.
When I saw a beautiful copy of ‘The Pillars of Hercules’ by Paul Theroux I lied to myself that I did not possess a copy of this title. So in it went into the haul that threatened to grow into more than a half a dozen books if I did not leave the bookstore immediately. Reluctantly I left the book store because there was more book hunting to do the next day, being a Sunday, at the second hand book market that was shifted from Daryaganj to Mahila Haat.

More about the rest of the Delhi haul in the next three posts over the coming days.

No comments: