Friday, November 29, 2019

The Delhi Haul-4

The last day of my two-week trip to Delhi was a Sunday and since my flight home was sometime in the night I decided to check out the second hand book market at Mahila Haat once again. I hoped that there would be more sellers than were on my last visit the previous Sunday. As expected there were about two dozen sellers or more with their books neatly arranged or haphazardly strewn around for the buyers to look. There were some sellers on the pavement just outside Gate 3 of Delhi Gate Metro station and it was here that I found my first title of that day’s haul. It was a copy of ‘My Place’ by Sally Morgan that I picked up after I read on the cover that it was an ‘Australian Classic.’
Sometime early this year on a visit to Delhi I had been to the second hand book market at Darya Ganj. The first title I had found was a nice copy of ‘The War Against Cliché’ by Martin Amis. I had got it pretty cheap at fifty rupees. I saw another copy of the same title and since I was reading it back at home I decided to buy this copy too because it was too precious a book to be left behind. However this copy was a bit expensive; I paid hundred rupees for it.
The next find was a copy of ‘The Man Within’ by Graham Greene that I don’t remember having in my collection. I was glad to find it and I got it for hundred rupees.
The last title I found was a copy of ‘The High Road’ by Edna O’Brien that I got for only thirty rupees. But as expected I was unable to locate the copy of Anees Jung’s ‘Song of India’ that I had not had the sense to pick up on my previous visit.

No comments: