Friday, February 28, 2020

The Sunday Haul (on 23-02-2020)

Those who read, I realized, have few friends and those friends are mostly people who also read. There was someone in the office who loved to read and her birthday was coming up so I wanted to give her a book. I had told her about Alice Munro and also about William Trevor. While I had an extra copy of an Alice Munro title I did not have extra copies of any of the half a dozen William Trevor titles I have on my bookshelf. So I decided to go in search of a book to give her. It was a holiday due to a local festival and I decided to drop in at MR Books at Begumpet. I couldn’t find anything worth giving to her but I found something for myself. I found a beautiful copy of ‘Bookworm’ by Lucy Mangan. I had written down this title in my notebook after I read about it on someone’s blog. I felt very pleased finding this title that happened to be about books.
That was on Friday and on Sunday I was at Abids where I found two more titles. However, these were copies of books I already have. I found a nice copy of ‘Prashad: Cooking with Indian Masters’ by Inder Singh Kalra that I got for a hundred rupees. I bought it because the copy I had with me wasn’t in such a good condition.
The next find was a copy of ‘The Story of Lucy Gault’ by William Trevor. It would make a nice gift for the colleague in office so I bought it. I got it for eighty rupees which was very less for a book in such a beautiful condition that it appeared almost new.

No comments: