Friday, March 06, 2020

The Sunday Haul (on 01-03-2020)


My kid joined a software company recently. Though I never tried to understand or know what he studied in college I felt it would a good idea to get to know something about software after I saw a copy of ‘Dreaming in Code’ by Scott Rosenberg. I have already started reading it and just got to know about source code, compilers, and such jargon. I don’t know of what use it would be to me to read this book but then I read all kinds of books in the belief there’s something to learn from every book.
I remember writing down the name Cesare Pavese a long time ago in a notebook after reading about the writer someplace I don’t remember now. It was a name difficult to forget because I had not heard of it before. So when I saw the name again on the cover of a book I saw at Abids I picked it up for a closer look and then bought it. It was a beautiful copy of ‘The Devil in the Hills’ by Cesare Pavese. The cover reminded me of a title by Jean Giono.
Sometimes it is difficult to remember all the names of writers who’ve either won literary prizes/awards or on the short list but a name like Laszlo Krasnahorkai is difficult to forget. The third title I found at Abids was a copy of ‘Satantango’ by Laszlo Krasnahorkai.
The fourth book in the haul I found at Chikkadpally. I remember reading about ‘Death in Venice’ by Thomas Mann somewhere that I cannot recollect now. I had bought not one but two copies of ‘The Magic Mountain’ by Thomas Mann but was looking for his ‘Death in Venice’ that I found last Sunday. I paid only thirty rupees for it.

No comments: