Friday, December 11, 2020

The Sunday Haul (06-12-2020)


The previous Sunday due to a political rally the cops did not let the book sellers set up their wares on the pavements of Abids. Last Sunday they were back in full strength. I hoped to find a nice title or two but I landed only one book. I saw the copy of ‘Mango Coloured Fish’ by Kavery Nambisan as wel as the copy of ‘The Postman Always Rings Twice’ by  James M.Cain that I had seen a couple of weeks ago and that I had been planning to buy, at the same place. However last Sunday too I did not pick them up for some reason I am unable to fathom. I went around looking at the books and putting them back. I saw a nice hardcover copy of a book on Indian birds that was really good and that I should have picked up right away. But I did not take it and later regretted it.



However, with the same seller I saw a copy of The Infinite Plan’ by Isabel Allende on another shelf. I had missed buying titles by Isabel Allende I saw at Abids and later realized she has a large following. I did not want to miss this title and got it for a hundred rupees. With another seller I saw a nice copy of ‘Neither Here Nor There’ by Bill Bryson in a transparent plastic cover. I did not buy it though I wanted to buy it because the seller was a guy who asks for astronomical prices. I looked at it from afar and walked on, quietly glad that I did not have to wrestle with the seller over the price because I already have a copy.  

The saddest thing about 2020 is that the ‘Hyderabad Book Fair’ will not be held at all. It is held in December and by this time I would have been eagerly waiting for it. How I miss it!

No comments: