Friday, December 18, 2020

The Sunday Haul (13/12/2020)

Last week there was another minor flood of books. I bought six books all in a matter of a few days. On Saturday, a holiday being a second Saturday I dropped in at the Unique bookstore in Lakdikapul-Khairatabad road. On an earlier visit I had spotted a book that I could not buy for some reason. On Saturday I noticed it was still available on the shelf. It was a nice copy of ‘Seven Sacred Rivers’ by Bill Aitken, a book I had read a long time ago and lost somewhere. I think it was more than twenty years since I last read it and felt some kind of attachment to the title. I wanted to read it again so I picked it up.

The next day, Sunday that is, I was at Abids as usual. I was glad to find that the copy of ‘Mango Coloured Fish’ by Kavery Nambisan I had mulled about buying for about three weeks was there with the same seller. I got it for just fifty rupees. But I do not know when I would take it out to read, maybe sometime next year.

A long time ago, almost thirty years ago, I decided to become a writer and started jotting down ideas, random quotes and also titles of books I came across in books I read. Luckily for me I managed to hold on to these notebooks though I did not write much except a few short pieces. In one of those notebooks I had noted down the title ‘People Who Say Goodbye’ by P.Y. Betts. I remember the name of the author because I go through those notebooks now and then. Anyway, when I saw a copy of People Who Say Goodbye’ by P.Y. Betts I got the shock of my life. I did not expect to find it and therefore was excited that I found a book whose title I had noted down just out of curiosity and not with the intention of reading it. It was a beautiful, almost new copy that I got for a hundred rupees. Afterwards in the evening when I took out the notebook I saw that I had read about ‘People Who Say Goodbye’ by P.Y. Betts.in Dirk Bogarde’s ‘For the Time Being’ that was a sort of memoir. It was sometime in 2003 that I had read ‘For the Time Being’ and I still have the copy with me.

 


At a seller in Chikkadpally I found a copy of ‘French Lessons in Africa’ by Peter Biddlecombe. Earlier I had seen another title by the same author- that I did not think much of and hence did not buy. But when I read the word ‘Africa,’ one of my favourite parts of the world, and saw that it was a travel book I immediately bought it.

A bookseller I bought books from online led me to two WhatsApp groups of bookseller who conduct online sales and auctions of books. I joined and within days took part in an auction. I bid hard for a copy of ‘The Great Railway Bazaar’ by Paul Theroux that had a great cover and that seemed a first edition. I have a couple of copies of this title but not the one in the auction. I had to pay a steep amount to get this book for which many bibliophiles were bidding but in the end I got it.

In the same auction was a nice copy of ‘Portrait of India’ by Ved Mehta. It was a hard copy. Again I wanted it badly so I bid and outbid all of them to get it. Quite a drain on the wallet but I had two great titles after the auction ended. It was the first ever auction I took part in and I was quite excited that I got such good books.


No comments: