Friday, March 04, 2022

The Sunday Haul (27-02-2022)

Last Sunday I was glad I carried my cap along because the sun was fierce enough to need protection from. Cap on head and feeling shaded I browsed at Abids and found two wonderful titles that I was glad for.

Only the previous Sunday I had found a copy of ‘The Closed Circle- An Interpretation of the Arabs’ by David Pryce-Jones that was another addition to the titles on the Middle East and Arabs that I had found. I was very surprised when I found another title on Arabs- ‘A History of the Arab Peoples’ by Albert Hourani. Initially I was put off by the dirt and grime on the cover but after seeing that it was a ‘faber and faber’ title I grabbed it. After I got home I cleaned the cover and tweeted about it. I was surprised to discover that it was a sought after title. I was pleased to have found it and more pleased that I got it for only a hundred rupees. It is another thick volume similar to the other titles on Arabs that I have with me at home. I plan to read all these titles one after the other in order of publication- the older ones first.

The last find was a title by a writer I greatly admire- Fakir Mohan Senapati. Ever since I read his ‘Six Acres and a Third’ I have been on the lookout for his other titles. Under a pile of books I spotted just the word ‘Fakir’ and I knew it would be Fakir Mohan Senapati. When I pulled out the book I was pleased to find it was indeed a title by him. It was a beautiful copy of ‘Lachhamaa’ that I got for only fifty rupees. I was really glad to find it because I have never heard of this title that was quite slim. This is the book I am going to read next.  However the name was spelt as ‘Phakir’  and not Fakir.


No comments: