Friday, March 25, 2022

The Sunday Haul (on 20-03-2022)

Sometime back I came to a slow realization that I own several titles about/or on a few countries such as on Africa, America, the UK, the Arabs, India, South America, Tibet, and Australia. But the highest number of titles are on China with nearly a dozen titles. Last Sunday at Abids I found another superb book though not entirely about China.

It was a beautiful copy of ‘Slow Boats to China’ by Gavin Young that I almost missed spotting since it was nestled among books for children that I usually don’t look carefully at. I noticed it when I spotted the Penguin logo on the cover. I felt glad that I picked it up because there’s a blurb by Paul Theroux on the cover. After reading the Prelude I was so taken up that I was tempted to read on. But I had decided to read all titles about one country/region at one time one after the other so I could have a better understanding so I kept it alongside the other titles on China.

Somehow I was irrationally overjoyed finding the copy of ‘Slow Boats to China’ by Gavin Young though I paid a hundred and fifty rupees for it.

No comments: