Friday, August 12, 2022

The Sunday Haul (on 07-08-2022)

 It looks like the heavy rains aren’t going to leave Telangana any time now. Last Sunday it was cloudy with the sort of dark clouds portending heavy rains covering the sky in Hyderabad. However, it did not rain while I was out browsing the books at Abids. I hadn’t seen anything interesting and had also not found the titles I had seen the previous Sunday. It was then that I spotted a book at the bottom of a pile with the title ‘Haydn and the Valve Trumpet’ by Craig Raine. It seemed like a fiction title and I almost did not take it out until I saw Picador was the publisher. I took it out of the pile and saw ‘Literary Essays’ on the cover. I did not have to think twice before deciding to buy it though part of the title was torn off.




I have not heard of Craig Raine so far so I was pretty intrigued when I read that he is a literary critic. I was pleased I found this title because it has sixty seven essays on various writers, poets, and books. I got the book for just eighty rupees. After finding this title I did not bother to look at anything else, and besides it began to drizzle so I hurried home with my single haul.

No comments: