Saturday, August 27, 2022

The Sunday Haul (on 21-08-2022)

 Unlike the previous Sunday it was bright and sunny last Sunday when I set out for Abids a bit earlier than usual. I had to go somewhere on work so I planned to do the Abids routine and leave early. The previous Sunday it had rained almost all day and therefore I could not go to Abids but managed to get a book at Chikkadpally. I found a copy of Alice McDermott’s ‘Charming Billy’ for just fifty rupees.

So last Sunday I ended up finding two good titles. The first one I found was a nice copy of ‘They Came Like Swallows’ by William Maxwell that I already have. This is my third copy I think. I bought it because I was getting it cheap and besides William Maxwell is a writer I would like others to know about.

The second title was a copy of ‘To a Dubious Salvation’ by Etienne Leroux, a Penguin Modern Classics title. It has a stunningly stark cover that got my attentions right away. Inside I saw that it was a trilogy – Seven Days at the Silbersteins, One for the Devil, The Third Eye- translated from the Afrikaans into English. I got this for two hundred rupees.



No comments: