Friday, March 31, 2023

The Sunday Haul at Coimbatore (on 26.03.2023)

Since the past couple of years I’m being sent to Ooty to coordinate trekking of Officer Trainees undergoing Foundation Course at our Institute. I had been to Ooty only last November-December and last week again I had to go to Ooty in preparation of the trek. Last Sunday I was in Coimbatore for a couple of hours on the way back to Hyderabad. Since I had a few hours before the flight in the evening I decided to check out the second-hand bookstores that the cab driver told me about when I asked him. 

 


In Eswaran Kovil street in the Townhall area near the Coimbatore Railway station I saw about half a dozen small stalls each filled with hundreds of books mainly text books but a few had old novels also. I was pretty excited seeing these stalls as I usually spend my Sunday mornings looking for books at the Abids second hand book bazaar. I found a copy of ‘Breakfast on Pluto’ by Patrick McCabe for fifty rupees at one stall. 

Another title I picked up was a copy of ‘Star of the Sea’ by Joseph O’Connor that I got for a hundred and twenty rupees. It was a bit too high a price but I couldn’t resist it. Another reason was that I wanted something to read while waiting at the airport for the flight that was a couple of hours away. 


Now I regret not buying the Alice Munro collection I saw at another stall just because the seller asked a very high price and couldn’t reduce the price. 

 

But I am terribly pleased that I did not miss the Sunday Haul though it wasn’t at Abids in Hyderabad. 

No comments: