Friday, June 09, 2023

The Sunday Haul (On 04-06-2023)

 

Last Sunday at Abids I made a big mistake missing buying a wonderful title because of a foolish decision. But before I write about it here’s what I found at Abids last Sunday. 

 

I saw a nice copy of ‘Narendranath Mitra- Selected Short Stories’ compiled and translated by Amitava Ray. It was a Sahitya Akademi publication that I picked up without a second thought. I had never heard of Narendranath Mitra so I was very curious who he was. I was astonished to read the blurb on the back cover which said that Narendranath Mitra is the author of about thirty-five novels and five hundred stories in Bengali. He achieved fame after his first novel ‘Haribangsha’ was serialized in Desh in 1942-43. 



 

There are eleven stories in this title all translated by Amitava Ray. I got this book for just fifty rupees. I would have come home with two books but for the mistake I made. I had seen a nice hardcover copy of ‘The Love of a Good Woman’ by Alice Munro, one of my favorite writers. I wanted to buy it but the seller quoted a price that I thought was too high so I walked away without buying it. I did not continue the conversation as the seller seemed too intent on checking his mobile phone and did not appear interested to make the sale. Later I thought I should have bought it at the price he asked for. I really hope to find it next Sunday. 

No comments: