Friday, June 02, 2023

The Sunday Haul (on 28-05-2023)

Those who follow my blog and read it regularly will know about my odd habit of buying multiple copies of titles that I have found to be good after reading them. They would also know that I have many copies of ‘On Writing’ by Stephen King, ‘The Summing Up’ by Somerset Maugham, ‘The Elements of Style’ by Strunk & White, ’84 Charing Cross Road’ by Helene Hanff, ‘The Snow Leopard’ by Peter Matthiessen, ‘All About H.Hatterr’ by G.V. Desani, and also ‘The Year of Magical Thinking’ by Joan Didion. I simply cannot resist buying these and other titles whenever I find them. I usually give them away to friends. 

 


Last Sunday at Abids I came across a different edition of ‘The Year of Magical Thinking’ by Joan Didion with the title in gold lettering on white background. This is a heart-breaking account of life after the death of Joan Didion’s husband. I got it for just fifty rupees. 



 

I like to read crime fiction apart from other books. I try to find new crime fiction writers particularly British writers who almost always manage to be funny. I saw the copy of ‘Spider in the Morning’ by Duff Hart-Davis that I had seen the previous Sunday also but had hesitated to buy it. But last Sunday after I read the first few paragraphs that were in the first person singular combined with some self-deprecatory humor I was convinced it would be worth reading so I bought it. I got it for fifty rupees. 

No comments: