Friday, March 01, 2024

The Ooty Haul

The past two weeks I was at Ooty on work and therefore could not go to Abids. I missed Abids very badly and it was pure agony for the two Sundays I was at Ooty. This is my eleventh and last visit to Ooty about which I will write in another post. Since I would be at Ooty for two long weeks I took along three books to read one of which was ‘The Snow Leopard’ by Peter Matthiessen that I am reading for the fourth or fifth time since I last bought it almost two decades ago. 

 


Though I had three books to read I was longing for something else to read and it so happened that I came across a Tweet about ‘The Cooking of Books’ by Ramachandra Guha that I had earlier planned to buy sometime in the future. Somehow I felt a desperate need to read it and I was disappointed not to find it at the Higgin Bothams store in Ooty, and they told me that it would take a week for them to get it if I want it. Not wanting to wait so long I placed an order for it on Amazon and five days later I got it. However I did not read it right away since I planned to read it on the twenty hour long train journey from Coimbatore to Hyderabad.

 

As planned I finished reading it by the time the train reached Hyderabad. I got to know more about Rukun Advani than Ramachandra Guha after I read it. I will read it once again after sometime and want to do a slow read. 

4 comments:

Aditya K said...

Hi, sir. Sorry for writing a comment unrelated to the blog post. I have been looking for a copy of MT Vasudevan Nair's "Catching an Elephant and other stories". In this post - https://vinodekbote.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-sunday-haul.html?m=1 - you mentioned it. If it is not too much of a trouble, can you please share a photo of the Contents page? I would like to atleast know which stories were included. Given I was not lucky enough to find copy for myself. I live in Hyderabad too and frequent the Sunday book market. Thank you very much for your help.

Vinod Ekbote said...

Aditya, I. have mentioned the stories in it in the blog post June 15, 2012. Pl check it out.
I am not able to locate the copy now.

Aditya K said...

Sure, sir. Thank you. I will do that.

Aditya K said...

I read the particular blog post, sir. It is almost as if it was written for someone like me who might come asking for such details one day, when you don't have your copy at hand: because, brief notes like this or even longer reviews do not mention all the stories included in a book. Can't thank you enough. I really wish and hope you locate your copy. Thank you very much, again.