Friday, March 15, 2024

The Sunday Haul (on 10-03-2024)

 The previous Sunday in fact I had not picked up a title that I already have two copies of but later after I got home I realized that I should have bought it if only to give it to someone. It was a copy of ‘The Art of Dramatic Writing’ by Lajos Egri which is one of the best books on writing that I’ve read, and I am not saying it lightly because I have read nearly two hundred books on writing. Last Sunday I was relieved to find the copy and picked it up and the seller told me to give him whatever I thought the book was worth. So I gave him a hundred rupees.

The next find was also a title that I have numerous copies of and which I like to give to people who tell me they love books. It was a copy of ‘84 Charing Cross Road’ by Helene Hanff with an entirely different cover from the ones I have. I got this lovely book for eighty rupees only.

 


Ayn Rand is one writer I struggled to read. Somehow I couldn’t finish any of her books that I read. But this title by Ayn Rand that I found last Sunday at Abids I intend to read. It was a nice copy of ‘The Art of Nonfiction’ by Ayn Rand that I spotted with a seller. He also told me to pay him whatever I thought fit so I paid him hundred rupees for it.

 


This title too I had spotted last Sunday but this was at Chikkadpally, and since I had bought five books already I told the seller to keep it aside for me. It was a copy of ‘Jurgen Habermas: Critic in the Public Sphere’ by Robert C. Holub that I got for hundred rupees. I had read about Habermas only recently and finding this title was a pleasant coincidence.

 


A little more than two years ago I found a copy of ‘The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East’ by Robert Fisk that I realized was a wonderful book by a great journalist. However, I haven’t yet read since I kept it aside to read along with a few other books on the Middle East. Last Sunday at a seller in Chikkadpally just before I picked up the Habermas book I spotted another Robert Fisk title. It was a nice copy of ‘The Age of the Warrior- Selected Writings’ by Robert Fisk that I immediately grabbed. 

No comments: