Friday, June 21, 2024

The Sunday Haul (16-06-2024)

 Last Sunday it was another ‘rainless’ day in Hyderabad. It was sunny and bright when I started out for Abids and took a bus instead of a Rapido/Uber bike. There’s something about traveling in a bus on a holiday as everyone seems to be in a relaxed mood and there’s less crowd too. Anyway, I reached Abids around noon and started off on my usual route around the sellers at Abids.I met a friend who lost his mother recently, had chai with him in Star of India and talked. Later I went around to look for good title to pick. 

 


I had heard about ‘Nude Before God’ by Shiv K. Kumar that I thought was a book of poetry. All these years I couldn’t find a copy and last Sunday I spotted a copy in a heap of books being sold for Rs.50. It was a different edition and seemed in good condition. It wasn’t a lengthy book running into just 168 pages, a couple of hours’ read. 

 


In another heap of books of Rs.20 I spotted a really nice copy of ‘Wide Sargasso Sea’ by Jean Rhys. I had found a copy with a similar cover years ago but it was all underlined with a pen but I read it somehow. This was a copy I did not want to miss because not only it was in a good condition it was also very cheap at only twenty rupees. So I added it to the Sunday haul. 

No comments: