Friday, June 14, 2024

‘The Sunday Haul (on 09-06-2024)

It had begun to rain in Hyderabad since the past one week or so driving away the oppressive heat of a terrible summer that never seemed to end. Though I welcome the rains I wish it doesn’t rain on Sundays because that is the day when I go to the second-hand book market in Abids. 

 


Last Sunday it was cloudy though but did not rain. It appeared as if it would rain any moment but somehow there was no rain as long as I was in Abids trying to find something good to take home and read. There’s an elderly person who is a crime fiction fan and tries to tell everyone he meets in Abids to pick this title or that title. I meet him regularly at Abids and sometimes chat for a while. Last Sunday he asked me to pick up ‘The Tightrope Men’ by Desmond Bagley. Though I was not very interested in buying it I took it as it was only fifty rupees and, besides I did not want to disappoint my enthusiastic acquaintance. 

 

Then I went on to Chikkadpally to look at what the sellers there had laid out. I spotted a nice copy of ‘Anarchy: The East India Company, Corporate Violence, and the Pillage of an Empire’ by William Dalrymple that was of a forbidding size. It was a hardcover copy that I got for two hundred rupees. 



No comments: