Friday, August 09, 2024

The Sunday Haul (on 04-08-2024)

 There have been no rains in Hyderabad since the past few days and it did not rain on Sunday too. In fact, it was bright and sunny in the morning on Sunday when I set out. First I stopped at Chikkadpally and found two wonderful titles. 


The first find was ‘Goa Travels’ edited by Manohar Shetty that was a collection of articles by visitors to Goa and travelers of yore when Goa was under Portugese rule. The introduction by the famous writer and poet of Goa, Manohar Shetty, gives a wonderful account of the background of the articles in the collection. I feel lucky to have found it. 

 


‘Things Fall Apart’ by Chinua Achebe is one of my favorite books that I love so much that I buy each and every copy I come across. This copy that I bought at Chikkadpally last Sunday must be my tenth or eleventh copy, and one that has the iconic cover. It is in good condition and I paid one hundred and fifty rupees for both these titles. 

 


At Abids that I reached on an Uber moto, I found a copy of ‘Seven Summers’ by Mulk Raj Anand, and it says ‘Confessional Story’ on the cover. On the back cover I read that it was a ‘Mayfair Paperbacks: A division of Arnold-Heinemann. This 1987 edition published and printed in India has that font that I’ve always found to be extremely readable though I have no idea which font it is.

 


Since I had come earlier than my usual time I had finished going around all the booksellers and thought I’d drop in at the Best Books second hand bookstore down the street. Here I found a wonderful travel title about Southern Africa. It was a Penguin title and was in good condition. It was a copy of ‘The Electronic Elephant: A Southern African Journey’ by Dan Jacobson. However I had to shell out two hundred and fifty rupees for it. 

No comments: