Friday, August 02, 2024

The Sunday Haul (on 28-07-2024)

 After almost ten days at last the sun was out in Hyderabad last Sunday. Then there was the festive air due to the Bonalu festival all which got me out of the gloomy mood that had persisted all through the days when it rained and when it didn’t rain but was cloudy. 

 


I first began with Chikkadpally this Sunday too, and there I found a copy of ‘Good English: How to Write It’ by G.H. Vallins that I had seen the previous Sunday. I already have a copy of this book but am unable to find it so I bought this second copy. 

 


Then I went to Abids and the first title I found was a good copy of ‘The Magic Mountain’ by Thomas Mann, a Penguin edition that I got for only fifty rupees. It runs into almost seven hundred pages of close print and I don’t know when I will find the time to read it. 

 


The next find was a nice copy of ‘The Club Dumas’ by Arturo Perez-Reverte, and right beside it was a copy of ‘The Collected Works of AJ Fikry’ by Gabrielle Zevin both that I got for a hundred and fifty rupees. Both these titles seemed to be book related and I was glad I found them. 

 


The last title was another book that I want to read to improve my writing. I found a beautiful copy of “The Random House Handbook’ by Frederick Crews. In the introduction it says that it is for ‘student writers’ and though I am no student I want to learn to write which was reason enough to buy it. There’s one seller in Abids who tells me to give whatever I want to pay for it instead of quoting me a price. So I paid him a hundred rupees for this title and he seemed satisfied. 



No comments: