Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Another Book Sale and Another Book on My Shelf

Barely have two whole weeks passed since the Hyderabad Book Fair concluded than there was the news of yet another second hand book sale. On Friday evening I got a message from Best Books that they have a sale of second hand books from 6th of Jan. Any news of book sales is enough for me to drop everything and rush to the venue which is what I did on Saturday. I found that compared to a previous sale which was perhaps sometimes in November the books on sale were almost brand new. It was also a new collection of books many of which were titles I hadn’t seen before.

There were nearly half a dozen titles of Dave Barry, all of them hard cover and practically new. There was only one title I did not have – Dave Barry’s History of the Millenium (So Far)’ which I asked to be kept aside to be picked up later.

There were a lot of books that I wanted to buy but I did not have enough money to buy all of them. I picked up just one title –‘Best American Travel Writing 2002’ that I got for Rs 150. The collection is edited by Frances Mayes who has written the bestseller ‘Under the Tuscan Sun’ and has twenty six travel articles. I know only a few of them- P J O’rourke, Edward Hoagland, Adam Gopnik and David Sedaris and the rest are new names to me. However, all the articles appear good to me and I cannot wait to begin reading them one a day.

I plan to go there again sometime after a couple of days and after devising ways of justifying to myself about buying the books I want to buy. If I don’t buy them now it will be difficult for me to remain sane until the next sale which is not likely to happen until June at least. This sale is until the 26th of January at the YMCA Secunderabad and is worth a visit.

4 comments:

Vetirmagal said...

It is not fair, you buy all the good books:-). Kindly indicate where this store is located, so that we too can pick up a few!

Vinod Ekbote said...

Vetri, I forgot to mention that the sale is at the YMCA, Secunderabad. I've picked only one book but there are still many good books at the sale. Go before others pick up the good ones left.

Going the distance said...

It hurts me that I live barely 500 metres away from YMCA Secunderabad and have not known that there was a second-hand book stall over there.

Vinod Ekbote said...

It isn't a secondhand book store at YMCA but a sale that happens quite regularly. Next sale could be in May.