Friday, July 12, 2019

The Sunday Haul (07-07-2019)


Once again it did not rain last Sunday. Personally I was happy but otherwise it is something to get deeply worried about because if it doesn’t rain enough no one will have enough to eat, earn, or drink water. These are only a few of the problems that result but there are other problems too, too many to list here. Anyway, it did not rain and I was able to go to Abids in the morning and look at the books spread out on the pavement to my heart’s content. Also, I picked up three good titles.
There’s a seller at Abids who usually sells all his books at one price; either at ten rupees or thirty rupees. He prices them according to the size of the book especially its thickness. I’ve many books cheap from this seller but one book I still remember is the one by Jorge Luis Borges titled ‘The Mirror of Ink’ for just ten rupees. Well, last Sunday I found two books with this man that I got for only forty rupees at the rate of twenty rupees per title. The two titles I picked up were- ‘All Quiet on the Western Front’ by Erich Maria Remarque and ‘The End of an Affair’ by Graham Greene. These copies were old editions and had different covers from the copies that I had bought long back. I picked up these too because they were too irresistible.
With another seller I found a copy of ‘The Penguin Film Review’ that looked quite ancient. I got this quite cheap, at only thirty rupees. There are no reviews of films in this book but articles about screenwriters, the German films of Fritz Lang, native films of Mexico, British film music, and books about film and so on.

No comments: