Saturday, November 16, 2019

The Sunday Haul (on 10-11-2019)


Having missed my weekly visits to the Sunday book market at Abids for three consecutive weeks last Sunday I was back home and very, very eager to go there. Though at Delhi where I was for more than a fortnight I had picked up nearly twenty books, and also two books only the previous day I was looking forward to find at least one good title at Abids later in the day. Ultimately, I ended up finding three good titles in the haul.
Almost a decade ago I found a copy of ‘rude food’ by Vir Sanghvi at Abids. It wasn’t in a good condition with moisture stains and a faint coating of dried up moss or something like that. I bought it for Vir Sanghvi’s writing but though it was good the copy I found wasn’t good enough for me so I gave it away half way through the book. I was certain that I would find a better copy soon. But after nine long years I came across a beautiful copy last Sunday and picked it up. I enjoy food not by eating it but by reading about it.
In the same way I also like to read accounts by people who have led other lives and decide to live the farm life by taking up farming. It also happens to be something I too want to try out after I retire which isn’t too far away. But I haven’t yet gathered courage to take the jump. Though I’ve studied agriculture in college and also worked in the department it doesn’t help much because knowledge is one thing and actual experience an entirely different thing. Farming in India isn’t anything like it is written about. It takes a lot to be a farmer in India. Anyway I have read a few books on the farm life and when I came across a beautiful copy of ‘The Dirty Life’ by Kristin Kimball I bought it.
As with farming, so with dogs. Though I don’t keep a dog I do follow shows about dogs on television. I had watched ‘Dog Whisperer’ on TLC and was quite fascinated by the behaviour of dogs and how people like Cesar Millan teach people to handle their dogs. Last Sunday I saw a nice copy of ‘Cesar’s Rules’ by Cesar Millan and bought it just to learn more.

No comments: