Friday, July 16, 2021

An Online Haul

It rained almost all day in Hyderabad last Sunday. It started around the time I usually leave for Abids after breakfast. I waited hoping it would stop but it went on and on coming down heavily. By the time it stopped it was sometime late in the afternoon and I couldn’t go to Abids to look for books as I had other things to do. I was disappointed about missing the visit to Abids but it lasted less than a day since on Monday I received a couple of books I had bought from a WA group of a second hand book seller.

Almost thirty years ago when I was just starting out to buy books at Abids I came across a thick book that I bought though I neither knew the author nor the title but felt that the book was good. It was a copy of ‘Danube’ by Claudio Magris that I am embarrassed to confess is still somewhere on my shelves unread. I had come across another title by Magris in the WA sale- ‘Microcosms’- that I immediately claimed before anyone could. It is a collection of essays, nine of them, translated from the Italian by Iain Halliday.

The other book was also by another Italian writer- Italo Svevo. I had bought ‘Confessions of Zeno’ by Italo Svevo a couple of years ago recognising the name I had read in a collection of essays by J.M.Coetzee. The copy I had received last Monday was ‘A Perfect Hoax’ which was a slim book.

1 comment:

Maya Varde said...

Wow...second books are available on a whatsapp groups ...you are lucky !