Friday, July 23, 2021

The Sunday Haul (on 18-07-2021)

 It is the rainy season over here with the monsoon very active bringing in rain almost every day. However, it did not rain in the morning on Sunday enabling me to go to Abids to look for books in the second hand book bazaar. I returned home with two good titles and luck was on my side since it began to rain shortly after I came back.


                 I have little doubt about what a treasure trove the Abids second hand book bazaar is since I’ve found too many good titles here over the years. It is also incredible how one finds good titles so cheap that one cannot believe it. Last Sunday I found one such title. I already have a copy of Daniyal Mueenuddin’s ‘In Other Rooms, Other Wonders’ that I had found almost a decade ago in 2012. It is a collection of some wonderful short stories that I had bought for sixty rupees. But the copy I saw at Abids last Sunday was only ten rupees. It was in a good condition and I did not have the heart to leave it behind so I picked it up. This was the only book I found at Abids and the second book I found at another place. 

At a seller in Chikkadpally I found a copy of ‘Skippy Dies’ by Paul Murray. I vaguely remember having come across the title mentioned somewhere and moreover it was a Penguin so it roused my interest enough to buy it. I bought the book for hundred rupees. 


No comments: