Friday, April 22, 2022

The Sunday Haul (on 17-04-2022)

 After two Sundays that I missed not visiting Abids as I was away in Ooty on official work I was very excited to be back at Abids last Sunday morning. Only after I was at Abids browsing the books laid out on the pavements did I feel I was truly back home. Ever since I stepped off the plane the previous Sunday I was waiting for the moment when I would reach Abids on Sunday morning and begin searching for the treasures.

Once again travelogues seemed to be the theme after all the travelling I did this month. The first title I found was a copy of ‘Maiden Voyage’ by Denton Welch. The first thing that caught my eye was the cover which had an illustration of a man standing in a street and the caption says that it is a young man’s account of China in the thirties. The other thing was that it was a title from the Penguin Travel Library and I buy anything from it with my eyes closed. I hadn’t heard the name- Denton Welch- before so I was curious who it could be. Inside I read that ‘Maiden Voyage’ is the first published work of Denton Welch who was hailed as one of the gifted prose writers to emerge in post-war Britain. I was pretty excited that I had found a good book. I got this title for only fifty rupees. 

No comments: