Friday, September 02, 2022

The Sunday Haul (on 28-08-2022)

It turned out to be a sunny and bright Sunday morning as I left for Abids to look for books. My heart is full of eager anticipation as I head out to Abids. Every Sunday I manage to find good titles and last Sunday too I found four good ones.

The first title I found was a Penguin title. I spotted a nice copy of ‘Rocking the Babies’ by Linda Raymond and checked to see what it was about. It was an unusual story about two different women who end up caring for infants in a neonatal ICU and bond with each other after some initial mistrust. I wanted to read it right away because it was an unusual story. I got it for eighty rupees.

The next two finds were with the same seller and these were titles I already have. I picked up the two nice copies of ‘The Heart of the Matter’ by Graham Greene and ‘The Quiet American’ by Graham Greene for just thirty rupees each. The seller also had a copy of Greene’s ‘Travels with My Aunt’ which also I have but did not buy. Maybe next Sunday I might pick it up if I see it.


I have developed a thing for books especially memoirs by editors and publishers and have managed to collect a small pile of such books. So last Sunday when I saw a hardcover copy of ‘My Mistake’ by Daniel Menaker I really was not keen on picking it up and seeing what it was. However curiosity got the better of me and when I read on the back cover that Daniel Menaker had been an editor with The New Yorker I bought it without a second thought though I have never heard of Daniel Menaker. It was a lucky find and I am pleased with myself for having bothered to check out the back page or I would have missed this wonderful memoir.



No comments: