Friday, January 13, 2023

The Sunday Haul (on 08-01-2023)

 Only the week before I had picked up twenty five books during my five visits to the 35th Hyderabad National Book Fair and it was already Sunday again making me wonder if I should be buying more books at Abids. Since I really cannot stop myself from going to Abids on Sundays I decided on the way that I would buy only one book and that too if it was something really good. However, I ended up buying three titles including one that I already have on last Sunday’s visit to Abids. 


The first title I found was a nice copy of ‘Around India in 80 Trains’ by Monisha Rajesh. I had seen this title earlier some time back but hadn’t bought it because the seller was asking a too high price. Last Sunday however I saw it at a different seller’s and he gave it to me for eighty rupees only. 

Sometime back I had found a copy of ‘Indian Summer’ by James Cameron and had found it to be very absorbing as it was mostly about his life in India, being married to an Indian, and about the political developments around that time. Last Sunday in a heap of books selling for fifty rupees each I saw a book with a cover torn here and there. After I picked it up I saw that it was a copy of ‘What a Way to Run the Tribe’ by James Cameron, a collection of his journalistic pieces about the places he had been and the people he had met which was just the sort of thing I love to read. 


In the same pile I saw a copy of ‘The Big Sleep’ by Raymond Chandler that had a half-torn back cover and for a moment I almost put it back in the pile but I didn’t. I bought this copy though I have two copies of the same title on my bookshelf. 

No comments: