Friday, January 20, 2023

The Sunday Haul (on 15-01-2023)


Due to the Sankranti festival and the ensuing holidays there seemed to be fewer people at Abids last Sunday. I saw one seller packing up his books early into the afternoon and told me there was no business as there were no customers so that is why he was leaving early. It was too late for me to buy a couple of books with him because he was almost ready to leave with all his books packed into the sacks.

 



In a heap of books that has yielded several books during the past few Sundays I saw yet another wonderful title. I found a copy of ‘During the Journey and Other Stories’ by Sethu. After I flipped through the cover and a few pages I found that it was a collection of fifteen short stories in Malayalam translated into English by Aboobacker Kappad. It has a foreword by the renowned Malayalam writer K. Satchidanandan who praised the author Sethu for the stories. 

 

With another seller where I had picked up the Raymond Carver title and also the one by James Cameron I noticed another title that I seemed to have missed seeing the previous Sunday. It was a copy of ‘Dead Letter’ by Jonathan Valin and appeared to be a crime thriller title, one of a series of Harry Stoner. I love to read well written thrillers like these. The blurbs on the book looked good enough to make me buy it. It was for twenty rupees only. 

No comments: