Friday, June 30, 2023

An Online Haul

 Of late my interest has veered towards accounts, by journalists especially, about disputed places or countries where things are still unsettled. While looking at some titles put on sale by a seller on his WhatsApp group I spotted a nice copy of ‘The Gun and the Olive Branch’ by David Hirst. As soon as I saw the cover I felt that it was something special so I put in my claim and luckily enough no one claimed it and I got it. It took more than a week to reach me.

‘The Gun and the Olive Branch’ is about the conflict in the Middle East, especially, as it says on the cover about ‘the roots of the violence in the Middle East’, an area in turmoil since a long time. Though I read about it in the papers I never tried to know the background of this violence and now that I have this title I hope to get a better understanding. David Hirst was the Middle East correspondent of The Guardian newspaper and wrote this book sometime in the seventies. I am very glad that I have this book on my shelf, and am looking forward to reading it soon along with other books on the Middle East. 

No comments: