Friday, December 08, 2023

The Sunday Haul (on 03.12.2023)

 Going to Abids has become a bit complicated for me since the past three weeks. I had a road accident last month a day before Diwali and fractured my collarbone after falling down on the road from my two-wheeler that was hit by a rashly driven autorickshaw. I have been wearing a clavicle brace and have my right arm in a sling which means I cannot ride a two-wheeler. So I am going by cab to Abids which isn’t the same as going on my two-wheeler. 


Anyway, I got there as usual a little before noon and managed to find three titles. The first title I found was a copy of ‘With Chatwin’ by Susannah Clapp that was almost brand new and had Chatwin’s picture on the cover. It is a memoir/biography, and I plan to read it along with another biography of Chatwin by Nicholas Shakespeare that I had found a long time ago but haven’t yet managed to read it.

 


The next find was a nice copy of ‘Delhi Metropolitan: The Making of an Unlikely City’ by Ranjana Sengupta that I got for eighty rupees. Coincidentally I had claimed ‘City of Gold: The Biography of Bombay’ by Gillian Tindall on an online sale and that is yet to be delivered. Someday I have to read both these titles. I’ve already read Geoffrey Moorehouse’s book on Calcutta sometime last year. 

 


Though I felt that I have already read the copy of ‘Finding the Centre’ by V.S. Naipaul that I had found some time ago I couldn’t resist buying another copy though with a different cover and also an older edition that I saw at Abids last Sunday. One reason for buying it was that it was in a heap of Rs.50 books. 

No comments: