Saturday, September 26, 2009

On Meenakshi Mukherjee

For those in Hyderabad who love to read, book launches and readings will never be the same again. That’s how it feels to me. I used to look out for one person at readings I’ve attended. And I’ve attended quite a lot of them in the past one decade. If Meenakshi Mukherjee was present in the crowd I used to feel happy she had come. But now after her unexpected death less than ten days ago the literary scene in Hyderabad and the country feels quite empty. For a long time I was unaware that Meenakshi Mukerjee was one of the country’f finest commentator on Indian writing. I feel a sense of personal loss at her untimely death.

If I’ve learnt anything from attending book readings it is that if Meenakshi Mukherjee attended the launch or reading then the book was worth reading. In the past ten years she had attended several book readings not matter where they took place, at a star hotel or a small book store. It was worth waiting for her to ask questions or comment on something about the book. Because one observation from her about that particular book, my whole perception of the book would change. Ever since I came to know who she was I’ve followed her articles and essays in papers especially ‘Literary Review’ of ‘The Hindu. I’ve learnt a lot about Indian fiction in English reading her articles. I regret not reading any of her books and the reason is that they aren’t so easily available. I plan to search for them and read them soon.

When Hari launched his book, ‘The Men Within’ a couple of years ago at Askhara, Meenakshi Mukherjee was present in the gathering. Hari told me that he had given the book to her to read. I was surprised when he told me she had not only read the book in just a few days she had also offered him encouraging words about his writing. He was understandably ecstatic about it. I was surprised that such an eminent and busy critic would take out take out time to read the book of a newbie writer and also encourage him. It gave me the idea of doing the same after finishing my own book but sadly it will only remain as an idea.

The last time I saw Meenakshi Mukherjee was at the reading of Jaishree Misra’s latest book that happened a few weeks ago. She had observed that the book’s cover made it appear like it was a serious book and not what it was being perceived as. She sat through the event right up to the end patiently listening to the conversation between the author and Dr Vijay Kumar.

But my best memory of Meenakshi Mukherjee was the time when I saw her at the Begumpet airport a couple of years ago. I had gone to the airport to receive someone and was waiting outside the arrivals gate. She had come to receive someone and was scanning the faces of those coming out. I hesitantly wished her. She turned around and gave me a broad smile in return.

No comments: