Friday, September 18, 2009

The Sunday Haul


The Sunday Haul

It seems to be National Geographic Traveler season after Conde Nast Traveller season for me at Abids. Last Sunday I found the latest issue (July/August 2009) issue of NGT. Though I got the brand new magazine for thirty rupees only, I wasn’t very happy because I missed picking up two latest issues of Conde Nast Traveler magazine the other Sunday. Someone smarter had already picked them up. This is one lesson I sometimes forget: to grab a good book/magazine the first time you see it.

I had also seen Anita Desai’s and Carson McCullers’books too but did not buy them. Now I feel I should have bought them. I hope they’re there next Sunday but it looks unlikely because there may not be many book sellers on Sunday because as the festival season approaches the usual shops remain open. The book sellers who display their wares in front of the shops that are closed either move away or do not set shop at all. I’m keeping my fingers crossed until Sunday.

Coming back to NGT, the magazine is as good as the channel. Compared to Conde Nast NGT is smaller and with fewer pages- about eighty to more than two hundred pages of Conde Nast. But the articles are more informative and also crisper. However there doesn’t seem to be much about India in the magazine. I read about the charms of Boulder, a place where one of my family members lived not very long ago. There were short write ups about attractions at other US cities including Iowa where I plan to end up one of these days to do a writing workshop.

No comments: