Friday, August 03, 2018

Eleven Years of the Blog and The Sunday Haul (on 29-07-2018)


I am dimly aware of why I keep buying books week after week but I am finding it a bit difficult to understand why I am keeping this blog going. I don’t really relish the idea of writing the posts here as regularly as I am doing so it is not that I love to write and I also am not looking to be famous or popular with this blog. But I’ve managed to keep this blog going for eleven long years somehow. I have no idea of how long the blog will last but right now I am thinking of a short break of a couple of weeks.
Books published in the fifties and sixties hold a special attraction for me, more so if it is a crime fiction title. More than what it inside it is the cover that gets me. Last Sunday at Abids I came across a slim book in a heap with an attractive cover. I picked it up and the title on the cover was ‘Murder Me for Nickels’ by Peter Rabe. It was published in May, 1960 by Gold Medal Books in USA. I got it for just twenty rupees. This was the only title in last Sunday’s haul.

4 comments:

Jayasrinivasa Rao said...

Go on, maan, take a break ... eleven years is a long time, Vinod ... here is a suggestion -- don't write, just post pictures of covers of books that you hauled in at Abids ...

Jayasrinivasa Rao said...

btw, that cover is splendid ... full of possibilities ... reminds me of all those old b/w Hindi crime capers like Howrah Bridge ... music hai, dhuaan hai, masti hai, danger hai ...

Hari Menon said...

Hi Vinod,
I have been a follower of your blog for the past five years. In fact, at the time of writing this message, I opened your blog wondering how you manage to be so steadfast with your posts. So, it would be quite unusual to open my feed and not find a "Sunday Haul" post, should you decide to take your break. On that note, any words of wisdom about maintaining your levels of discipline?
Best
Serial Procrastinator

Vinod Ekbote said...

Hari, thanks. I am lazy too and procrastinate a lot. But when it comes to the blog I try to maintain a military like discipline though I work for the government, where, you might be knowing how things (and people) are. :)

For the blog I have a schedule and try to stick to it. That's the only secret, if you can call it that.