Friday, August 24, 2018

The Sunday Haul (on 19-08-2019)


In the collection of books that I have painstakingly managed to build over the years there are a few titles I have had multiple copies of. Three copies of ‘Ex-libris’ by Anne Fadiman, three copies of ‘All About H.Hatterr’ by GV Desani, three copies of ’84, Charing Cross Road’ by Helene Hanff, more than four copies of ‘The Elements of Style’ by Strunk & White, several copies of many Dave Barry titles and also ‘Get Shorty’ by Elmore Leonard, nearly half a dozen copies of ‘The Summing Up’ by Somerset Maugham, and more than a dozen copies of ‘On Writing’ by Stephen King which is a title I keep finding at Abids quite regularly.
Last Sunday too I spotted a beautiful, almost brand new copy of ‘On Writing’ by Stephen King and got it for sixty rupees. I don’t understand why I can never leave a copy of this behind without buying it. Since it was the first book I found at Abids I was thrilled that the day was turning out to be another Sunday that would have me taking home some really good finds in the haul.
I haven’t read anything by Amitabha Bagchi and after reading wonderful reviews praising his ‘Half the Night is Gone by almost all the reviewers I have been wondering whether to buy it online or wait until I find it somewhere. But before I could do any of this I spotted a nice hardcover copy of ‘This Place’ by Amitabha Bagchi. I thought maybe reading ‘This Place’ before reading ‘Half the Night is Gone’ would be a better thing to do and so added this title to the haul along with a copy of ‘Cat and Mouse’ by Gunter Grass, another writer I haven’t read.
The fourth and last title I found at Abids was a beautiful copy of ‘The Best of Samaithu Par’ by S. Meenakshi Ammal. I had been looking for this title since for quite some time but had not come across it even once. But I got lucky last Sunday and found a nice copy that I’ll cook through someday.

1 comment:

Clamourous said...

On Writing- you gave this book to my husband. He loves it so much. Thank you