Friday, January 10, 2020

The Book Fair Haul-3


Since the past few years I have been looking only into the stalls of the second hand book sellers at the Hyderabad Book Fair and finding enough titles to fill my book shelves. This year too at the 33rd Hyderabad National Book Fair I did the same in the first two visits and also the third and final visit. There are more than two dozen second hand book stalls in this year’s fair too and by the time I was done with all of them the book fair was over. On my third and final visit to the book fair a day before it ended I found four good titles.
William Trevor is one of my favourite writers and I have almost half a dozen of his titles, and some multiple copies of particular titles because I cannot resist them. At one second hand book stall at the fair I saw a copy of ‘The Love Department’ by William Trevor. It was a beautiful copy and though I haven’t yet another title by William Trevor that I had found recently I bought ‘The Love Department’ right away.
Sometime back I found the time to finish reading ‘Look at Me’ by Anita Brookner and loved the book. I decided to be on the lookout for ‘Hotel du Lac’ by Anita Brookner. But I found a nice copy of ‘The Bay of Angels’ by Anita Brookner at another stall and bought it. I don’t know when I will finally get around to reading it when I have dozens of book to be read.
I don’t want to miss anything by Joan Didion, and no one would. I found a copy of ‘A Book of Common Prayer’ by Joan Didion at a stall I don’t remember the name of and bought it.
The last find of the 33rd Hyderabad National Book Fair was a copy of‘The Eye of the Wind’ by Peter Scott. It was an autobiography and at first I mistook Peter Scott for Paul Scott. When I read that Peter Scott was a naturalist, adventurer etc I bought the book.

No comments: