Friday, April 26, 2024

The Sunday Haul (on 21-04-2024)

 Since the last couple of months I have been resolving not to buy books on my visits to the Sunday book market at Abids but haven’t been firm on keeping that resolve. I am not returning from Abids empty handed and last Sunday too I came home from Abids with three good titles that I couldn’t resist buying. 



I like to read books on Africa, books by Africans and have entire shelves filled with titles on Africa both fiction and non-fiction. Last Sunday I found two wonderful African titles. The first title was a nice copy of ‘Say You’re One of Them’ by Uwem Akpan, a collection of stories. These are the stories in it: An Ex-mas Feast (kenya); Fattening for Gabon (Benin); What Language is That? (Ethiopia) Luxurious Hearses (Nigeria); My Parents’ Bedroom (Rwanda); 

 



A little further down the street I spotted another African title- ‘The Translator’ Daoud Hari, a memoir by a translator in Darfur during the conflict. I got it for a hundred rupees. 

 



In a heap of books selling for fifty rupees which I check thoroughly I saw a copy of ‘Blue Highways: A Journey into America’ by William Least Heat Moon. I already have a copy of this title that I found long back but I did not want to let this copy go so I picked it up. I haven’t read it yet so I bought it to read since I have no idea where my first copy is.

No comments: