Friday, April 05, 2024

The Sunday Haul (on 31.03.2024)

 It had been my wish to read ‘The Arabian Nights’ and last year this wish came true when I found a copy of ‘The Arabian Nights’ that was a sort of abridged version that didn’t make me feel like I have really read the original ‘Arabian Nights’. Last Sunday I spotted a nice copy of ‘The Arabian Nights’ that was a Barnes & Noble Classics copy that was 662 pages long and felt like a brick. I was overjoyed at finding this copy with a beautiful cover that I got for two hundred rupees after a bit of haggling. There was a copy of ‘Grimm’s Fairy Tales’ also beside it that was also a Barnes & Noble edition and looked like a twin of the copy of ‘The Arabian Nights’. I will buy it next Sunday if it is available.


 After buying this hefty book I thought I wouldn’t be tempted to buy any other title but when I spotted a nice copy of ‘Tibetan Foothold’ by Dervla Murphy in a heap of books selling for fifty rupees. I already have a copy but I bought it anyway because I was getting it for fifty rupees only and besides, I can give it to someone who might be interested in reading it. 

 


Then I spotted a beautiful and almost new copy of ‘The Elements of Style’ by William Strunk Jr and E.B. White, the timeless classic. At first I resisted the urge to buy it and walked away but when the seller shouted after me that he would give it to me for fifty rupees I wilted and ended up buying it. 

 


Of course, it was pretty hot on Sunday with the temperature somewhere around 40 degrees C but habit being habit I had to come to Abids. I’ve no regrets because I went home feeling a quiet joy inside at finding three good books. 

1 comment:

Harimohan said...

The Tibetan Foothold - sounds interesting!