Friday, May 10, 2024

The Sunday Haul (05-05-2024)

 Last Sunday was another hot day and in fact the weather forecast said it was going to be a Heatwave day with the temperature going up to 42 degrees C. I almost dropped my plan of going to Abids since I did not want to get fried, and though I got dressed up to go I hesitated before I finally made the decision to spend not more than an hour and return as soon as possible. 

It was exactly as the forecast said, very hot and uncomfortable. I wore a cap and also carried a bottle of water that was over within minutes. I had chai in the Grand before venturing out to look at the books. 

 


My first find was a beautiful copy of ‘The Great Shark Hunt’ by Hunter S. Thompson, a  Picador title that I got for a hundred rupees. Though I’ve seen his other titles like ‘Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas’ I have not read any of Thompson’s books so I thought I’d make a beginning with this title. It is a collection of essays and articles that runs into more than six hundred pages. On the cover it says ‘First British Publication’ below the author’s name. 

 


I have this bad habit of giving away books that I liked after reading them and then later thinking it would be not so good I put it in a pile that I want to give away to friends and others. One such title was a copy of ‘The Way of the Peaceful Warrior’ by Dan Millman that I had found at Abids decades ago when I was just starting out on my job in the government. Somehow I gave it away and last Sunday when I came across it at Abids I wanted to read it again and so bought it. 

No comments: