Friday, May 19, 2023

The Sunday Haul (14-05-2023)


 After having returned from Bengaluru with a big haul of fifteen wonderful titles I was not in the mood to buy any more books at Abids on Sunday though I went there more out of habit than with the intention of buying books. However, I find it very hard not to buy good titles when I find them. So when I saw the copy of ‘The Oxford India Anthology of Twelve Modern Indian Poets’ edited by Arvind Krishna Mehrotra that I had seen earlier in the month I picked it up. The twelve modern Indian poets featured in this anthology are: Nissim Ezekiel, Jayanta Mahapatra, A.K. Ramanujan, Arun Kolatkar, Keki N. Daruwala, Dom Moraes, Dilip Chitre, Eunice de Souza, Adil Jussawala, Agha Shahid Ali, Vikram Seth, and Manohar Shetty. 

 


There aren’t many exciting moments in a bibliphile’s life than when coming across a nice sounding title by an author you’ve never heard of. So when I saw a copy of 'The Making of a Philosopher’ by Colin McGinn I instantly picked it up after reading the blurbs on the cover and also knowing instinctively knowing that it would be a good read. Good read it has turned out to be since I began reading the same evening I bought it at Abids for a hundred rupees. 

No comments: