Friday, May 26, 2023

The Sunday Haul (on 21-05-2023)

 It was pretty hot last Sunday at Abids where I went to browse among the second hand books laid out on the pavement. It was hot enough to need a cap and a bottle of water that I took along. Very often I get asked about some good books for children by their parents after they get to know that I like to read a lot. I always mention a few titles that I myself have read but I wish I knew about other new and better Indian titles as well. Till last Sunday I did not know there actually was a book about good children’s books in India. I spotted a copy of  ‘101 Children’s Books We Love’ ed Anita Roy & Samina Mishra the first thing after I had parked my two wheeler. I got it for fifty rupees.  


I was a biology student ending up as a post graduate in Agriculture so crops, plants, animals and trees are something I know a bit of but trees were something of a mystery, I can tell a few trees right away but I don’t know many things about them just as I don’t know much about just about everything in my life. Anyway, when I saw a nice copy of ‘The Secret Life of Trees’ by Colin Tudge I wanted to buy it and so bought it for a hundred rupees. 

 


I always pick up good travel titles whenever I see them. I found a nice copy of ‘Himalaya’ by Michael Palin at a seller who throws all his titles, good and worthless one together in a heap that he sells for a fixed price. I found this title in a heap selling for fifty rupees and picked it up. This is my first Michael Palin title and am eager to read it as soon as possible. 



No comments: